Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quirieu, France, Thursday July 3rd

It rained all day. We continued to read and study, and to have conversations. Yves has a fabulous collection of primitive art works, as well as many interesting paintings and an ancient amphora, so we had plenty to look at. He has also been studying psychology and did his practical sessions in a prison, so there was plenty to discuss on that front, as well as many topics such as industrial relations, the situation of native people in various countries, his and our past and future travels – all interesting and certainly not mundane.
We consulted with Anne-Marie when she and Annelise returned from shopping after work, and then we prepared the meal. I read the story of a stolen child who was sold to an adoption agency and then discovered, as an adult, that her birth mother had not given permission and had looked for her for years. I read it almost as fast as I read in English, which was a surprise, so I gave my French novel another chance and I was able to read it much faster too. Keith has started reading the papers. This is amazing after only three days but I think that it reflects growing confidence rather than brilliant progress, and hopefully will continue.
Our Irish contact has offered to give us her parents’ address in France to visit, so that would be very interesting and another option to consider.

No comments: